Tuesday, September 15, 2009

4:20


At the beginning of every term I ask my students to please refrain from creating images that advertise or glorify drugs and every term I have to deal with students who missed or ignored my request. I try to be as open as possible to a student's self expression needs. Being drug related alone is not enough to disqualify a project. If a student were to create something that actually said something thoughtful about drugs or drug use, I think I'd be inclined to defend it. Unfortunately the only thing that the pieces I get are trying to say is, "I am a drug user". It makes me sad.

1 comment:

  1. You're trying. I wish people explained to them the consequences of having drugs: addiction that turns them into dependent creatures that will do no matter what - even going to the lowest level of dignity - to have the drugs.
    But the thing is everywhere and is 'cool'.
    Sad.

    ReplyDelete